Wednesday, August 11, 2010

RAMBLINGS: JULIEANN COVINO

Along the road of my career and travels, I've been extremely fortunate to meet and work with an array of incredibly talented people. Ramblings is my way of picking their brain for more insight and juicy tidbits to share with you.

I started my blog a little late in the game, and began "Tweeting" even later. Once I jumped in with both feet I began to meet some really warm, open, and very talented design bloggers. Julieann Covino, owns Jace Interiors, and her blog is Create Girl. She shares products she finds along the way in her design process, rooms that inspire her, and frequently her love for Typography. Julieann thanks for welcoming me in to the blog world with open arms!

CreaeteGirlJulieann

What is your greatest extravagance?
Such a great question, I will have to break this down to categories!! Fashion - I love coats & believe if you are not feeling great about an outfit a great jacket can change your entire attitude! Home - well made rugs. When I buy a rug no matter what room it is for, I buy the best quality that fits my budget. Eventually it will make it to every room in the house and will earn every penny back!

What career would you pursue if you weren't doing what you do now?
I have to say I feel very fortunate with the job I have now and would not trade the look of happiness on my clients faces when they see their finished room. If Interior Design didn't exist I would say Graphic Designer without a doubt! I love all things typography and am always intrigued how a certain font can create an instant emotion, its like a visual song.

Which living person do you most admire?
Diane Von Furstenberg. Before I started Jace Interiors I read her Autobiography, "A Signature Style". It was so inspiring and became a blueprint for my own career. With all her ups and downs (which are bound to happen with any successful career) she always found a way to reinvent herself while staying true to her style.

What three things can't you live without?
Iphone (sadly!) porches, silly laughter, magazines (the paper, hold in your hand type!) and scarves...ahh yes that was more than 3 but how can a girl choose? They are all necessities!

What is your guilty pleasure?
Farmers Markets & Restaurants. I spend hours researching places to eat and find it incredible what happens on a farm! I love the entire experience of going out to dinner. With a well designed interior that reflects the food and beautifully styled plates...well I am just in heaven! Its an overabundance of visual happiness!

What is your favorite color combination? 
It is always changing and usually I am influenced by the project I am working on but right now I would have to say Navy Blue with Aqua accents. I am dying to paint a room a deep blue that is still bright and warm, it's a classic color!

What is the favorite room in your house, and why?
My favorite space is my back deck because I cherish every warm second of the year outside. Since I don't have a great picture of that space I will pick my favorite piece of furniture in my house. It is the turquoise dresser in the kitchen that stores all my table linens and platters. It's the first thing I see when I walk into the house and because it was a steal at a flea market it makes me even happier! The small details of it's sweet casters, glass knobs and subtle bow front make it even more appealing.

What is the most memorable event you've attended and why?
My most memorable event had to do with my Grandmothers 90th Birthday. She has traveled all over the world but had never been to Las Vegas and loves slot machines. She treated all 35 of us to a long weekend in Vegas. It was hysterical to see a 90 year old lady playing the slots into the wee hours of the morning! It was incredibly memorable as it was the first time in a long time all of my family was in the same place at the same time! Truly magical!

What would people be surprised to know about you?
I am a weather junkie! I watch for updates last thing before I go to bed and first thing when I get up....as if a lot changes in that 8 hours!

What is your biggest pet peeve?
No doubt pictures hanging too high, it's a struggle to not pull out my hammer and rehang as they go into another room. A close second is people with bad cell phone etiquette. Just because you have a phone doesn't mean you should chat loudly while in a store or restaurant.

4 comments:

Creategirl said...

thank you so much Kelley for including me in your Ramblings series! I find you so inspiring and love how you have your hand in many different areas of the media! Looking forward to your new book!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love your answers. I'm the same way with restaurants! I also have this odd habit of wanting to know what people ate when they went somewhere...I like to eat vicariously through others!

simply grove said...

Fun interview Julieann!! I too am a weather junkie!!!!

El said...

Thanks for including this great interview with Julieann. I love her blog and it's great to learn a little more about her through your wonderful site!

Related Posts with Thumbnails