Wednesday, November 3, 2010

RAMBLINGS: JESSIE OLESON

Along the road of my career and travels, I've been extremely fortunate to meet and work with an array of incredibly talented people. Ramblings is my way of picking their brain for more insight and juicy tidbits to share with you.

Jessie Oleson and I met when I was a judge at a cupcake contest. She was truly the expert, I guess I was invited because I like to eat them. In any event, she is known to her fans as the Cake Spy. Cakespy.com is a Dessert Detective Agency dedicated to seeking sweetness (literally) in everyday life. They do this by writing about bakeries, conducting baking experiments, and picking the brains of bakers and food artists, and finding awesome products for lovers of baked goods.  Cakespy.com is on Gourmet's list of Favorite Food Sites.  She is also a writer for Daily Candy, Serious Eats, and is an illustrator as well. On her site you will find a shop where you will find her artwork and whimsical baking and cooking products. Meet Jessie!

3095455263_0fa1da1f2f_o


What is your greatest extravagance?
Takeaway coffee. A relatively small thing, I know, but I buy it every single day. I know that you can save like a million dollars a year by making your own, but it always tastes better when someone else makes it.

What career would you pursue if you weren’t doing what you do now?
I'd love to be a city tour guide.

Which living person do you most admire?
Dorie Greenspan. I have a feeling that one day I will meet her, and have a Wayne's World-esque "I'm not worthy!" moment. I am in awe of her baking prowess, and adore her witty and charming writing style.
 What three things can’t you live without? Daily walks, buttered bread, and Betty Crocker's Cooky Book (yep, that's how it's spelled).

What is your guilty pleasure?
Valley of the Dolls. I've read the book at least 15 times.

What is your favorite color combination? 
Turquoise and chocolate brown. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), colors used in both the Tiffany and Trophy Cupcakes branding.

What is the favorite room in your house? Why?
It's actually my stairwell, and probably because it has a big mural of characters from The Wizard of Oz books.

28170115_06

I didn't do the artwork--it was there when we bought the house.

What is the favorite event you’ve attended and why?
The grand opening of my retail store, CakeSpy Shop. Over 200 people attended--friends, family, and readers of my site/followers of my artwork, and they were all there to support my crazy dream of opening up a retail store dedicated to cupcake and pastry illustrations and products. I was absolutely floored. I have never felt so loved as I did that night!

What would people be surprised to know about you?
I love brussels sprouts.

What is your biggest pet peeve?
Low carb diets.

4 comments:

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

What a great interview! I am going to go check out her website now!

Jennifer Duchene said...

Fascinating ramble. Love the stairwell artwork. the idea of being a CakeSpy is very intriguing. Whimsy and food - two of life's joys

Jen Duchene
The Home Makeover Mixtress blending cool & cozy style.

{jami @ i m a g i n e} said...

My biggest pet peeve (or one of them) is low carb diets too! I don't know how people do it?!


xo - jami
i m a g i n e

AphroChic said...

I love anyone who loves cupcakes and who would keep such whimsical artwork in their home. So cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails